Monday, February 22, 2010

She just couldn't stay away


You thought she was a goner, but...

Apologies to Fred Penner for abusing his lyrics.

Yes, I am back. I missed you all. And I was recently given an irresistable reason to write my blog posts again. A reason I could not ignore, that just set my typing fingers a twitchin! I've been banned from blogging. By my work. Well, not exactly banned, but my employer has commanded said that we should not participate in blogs, facebook, twitter, or any other social networking activity. Even on our own time. This is supposedly for our own safety, as my job has somewhat of a public recognition factor, by people who are not always happy with the result of my labour. Which does not explain why the edict applies to everyone, from the virtually anonymous file clerks in our records department to those of us in the public eye. I think the real reason for the ban is so the Minister does not have to worry about one of us flashing boobs or balls on facebook. Which makes me want to open a facebook page and...

I have been busy, as my last post whined about. Much has happened since then. But I have been writing, (just not blog posts) and I may even receive a little coin for some of my scribbles. More about that later.

Thanks to the Olympics, downtown Vancouver is virtually shut down for all but the revellers. That means many of us downtown worker drones are teleworking from home walking the dog in the middle of one of the most glorious stretches of spring weather I can remember. As you can see:

These beauties are blooming in the traffic circle on my block.



Who knew azaleas, daffodils, crocuses and cherry trees could all bloom at the same time? I've never seen that before.



I enjoyed watching the kids play at recess at the local primary school. Until I got kicked off the school grounds because dogs are not allowed.

Some spring blossoms are not so welcome:


Here is a photo from the weekend. I had a lovely long paddle in the kayak in shirtsleeves! Is this the result of global warming? Bring it on!

9 comments:

Carver said...

Wow, it really does look like spring. My crocuses aren't up yet but I keep checking. Good to see you posting. I have to say, telling employees they shouldn't blog or have facebook pages on their own time would definitely get me blogging if I wasn't already. I never mention work on my blog, definitely not specifics, but beyond that I don't get that kind of an edict.

secret agent woman said...

Hey, nice to see you back in the blog world. Stickin' it to the Man!

Jocelyn said...

Oh, darlin', you're BACK! I'm so excited, and not only because I look at your photos and remark that Iv'e followed your blog through quite a few changes of season, having envied your turn to spring so many months before mine.

So go get 'em, Tiger, and make sure you follow Jocelyn Pihlaja on Twitter when you create THAT account.

LadyFi said...

Such gorgeous spring colours.. I can almost feel the warmth. Meanwhile, we're suffering through the most severe winter ever.

Welcome back!

jmb said...

Isn't it the most amazing weather?

I took a whole lot of photos last week too as it seemed incredible to me.

At least the tourists are enjoying Vancouver even if a bit warmly dressed in their Arctic gear.

Dumdad said...

Welcome back! Your lovely photos put me in the mood for Spring. If only: it's raining here although that's better than snow.

Ian Lidster said...

Huge hug to you for being back. This is a special birthday bonus. About the ban on boob flashing. Well, I'll just have to speculate -- pleasantly.

Jazz said...

Welcome back!!! Even if it takes you boss saying you can't for you to actually write.

So, when will you be doing Facebook? Look me up when you do.

You know, the whole blooming flower thing when I'm getting snowed on... I'm bright green with envy.

Voyager said...

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Carver, like you, I rarely mention my work on my blog, except in the most general terms. Now I'm tempted to!

Secret agent, technically, I work for the Queen, so I guess I'm stickin' it to the woman.

Jocelyn, I can't imagine finding time to twitter and facebook (I just made that a verb - it's my blog and I'll mangle the language if I want to.)

Lady Fi, Spring has sprung here at good 3 to 4 weeks earlier than usual. I hate to think of what will happen to all those flowers if we get a cold snap.

JMB, I wonder what the Olympic tourists really think, having come here expecting a Canadian winter. Still, it's better to watch the events in warm sunshine than in nose-numbing icy winds.

Dumdad, but you have April in Paris to look forward to. Here it will likely rain from now until June.

Ian, there won't be any wardrobe malfunctions over here!

Jazz, My sister and my niece think I am an old fart for not having a facebook page. Actually I am an old fart. Maybe that should be my avatar.

V.